Sparrow Health System
Title: Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (COTA)
Employment Type: Direct Hire, Benefit Eligible and employer matching 401(k)
Office Location: 3315 E Michigan Ave, Lansing, MI 48912
Territory: Greater Lansing Area
Sparrow Home Care is a non-profit, certified home care agency serving the Mid-Michigan region including residents of Ingham, Eaton, Clinton, Ionia, and surrounding counties since 1984. As the leading home care organization in Mid-Michigan, we work with you to find your best healthcare options and provide an uninterrupted continuum of care as you transition back to your daily life.
- Performs occupational therapy services under the supervision of a licensed occupational therapist.
- Keeps treatment skills updated through continuing education, evidence based research and program development.
- Performs job responsibilities in accordance with the program’s strategic objectives and goals to carry out organizational strategic objectives.
- Provide prescribed occupational therapy treatment to patients under the supervision of the occupational therapist. Such areas of treatment include range of motion, strength, tone, modalities, therapeutic exercise, assistive devices, and functional activities.
- Employ principles of teaching and learning to educate patients and their families in the knowledge and skills that promote functional restoration.
- Document all care given, and the patient response in the patient’s medical record.
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the patient’s care, rehabilitation programs, and related rehabilitation activities.
- Maintain professional standards by participating in inservices and hospital/department requirements.
- Delegates, directs, and supervises implementation of care to occupational therapy students and rehab support staff
- Act as a resource to other disciplines in proper body mechanics, positioning techniques, ADL techniques and transfer techniques.
- Provides verbal and/or written feedback to the occupational therapist regarding all significant observations or changes in the patient’s condition, reaction and response to treatment.
- Assists the occupational therapist in estimating equipment and supply needs and may participate in the acquisition and inventory of these items.
- Document patient’s status and progress according to established internal/external time standards and adherence to reimbursement guidelines.
- Meets or exceeds program productivity standards.
- Provides discipline specific coverage (following cross training) within Sparrow Health System as requested.
- Communicates with other appropriate people to integrate OT treatment as necessary, or as directed.
- Participates in educational program for patients, patient’s families, and health care workers regarding treatment procedures, functional activities, and home programs.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to work with patient, caregivers, and others in a variety of home care situation *
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with patients, families, physicians, and interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal/communication skills, verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to implement and follow policies and procedures of department and health system
- Minimum of two year acute care experience (recent home care experience preferred)
- Associate degree, graduation form an accredited school of Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
- Registration with the American Occupational Therapy Association with Current COTA license in the State of Michigan.
- Current driver’s license
- Active American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: